"SENSIBLE HOME BUILDING"
BUILDING SMARTER, BUILDING BETTER
The TOM HOBBS CO. is proud to be recognized as one of Austin’s premier custom home builders, and to be recognized as a certified specialist in "Green Building" and an ENERGY STAR PARTNER. At a minimum, smart building to the TOM HOBBS Co. means being better and more sensible about building homes with energy and water saving features, however "GREEN" building means much, much more. In the broadest sense it means SUSTAINABILITY. As a home builder our most important goal is to meet our customer’s current needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs.
Home building using green materials and techniques do less harm to the environment, and create a safer, more comfortable home that is cheaper to operate. Green building is no longer viewed as a passing fad or some strange notion by militant environmentalists on the fringe of society. Green homes provide buyers with better value; lower utility costs, lower maintenance, better indoor air quality and better long term value all the while preserving valuable resources for future generations. BUILDING GREEN IS BUILDING SMART, BUILDING BETTER IS BETTER!!!
What exactly is Green Building?
A green built product is:
- Made from reused, recycled, rapidly renewable, preferably local or other environmentally preferable materials;
- Free of pollutants harmful to the air and water;
- Energy efficient, water efficient, resource efficient and durability enhancing; and/or
- Effective in minimizing the environmental impact of building.
What makes a building product GREEN?
- The footprint of the home should be designed to minimize disturbing the site.
- The orientation on the lot and the design of the home should be such as to maximize the suns energy in the winter and minimize it effects in the summer.
- The use of energy in the home is minimized. Energy efficiency is achieved through tight building construction and ducts, intelligent design decisions like passive solar design, insulation, and air sealing, and choosing efficient heating and air conditioning equipment, lighting, energy saving appliances.
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ).
- Water use, both inside and out, is also minimized through smart appliances and water saving plumbing fixtures, draught tolerant landscaping and drip irrigation.
Material resources used to build the home are minimized and advanced building techniques are used.
- The home offers a healthy and comfortable indoor living experience.
- The home is durable and with minimal maintenance requirements.
Green Building Techniques used by the TOM HOBBS CO.
Advanced Building Techniques and Materials
- Reflective long life roofing materials (metal or tile)
- Advanced framing techniques to reduce lumber usage and provide better insulation (insulated headers on all exterior walls).
- DOW Structural Insulated Panel (SIP) exterior sheathing (built in water resistant, insulation and continuous air barrier – reduces thermal bridging)
- Custom Engineered Floor Systems
- AdvanTech high performance subfloor (superior water resistance, strength and stiffness)
- Energy Star Certification www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=new_homes.hm_index
- igh Efficiency Heating and Air Conditioning Systems (17 SEER A/C, variable speed fan with dual stage compressor)
- Set back electronic Thermidistats (to control indoor humidity)
- Spray FOAM insulation in exterior walls and at roof rafters
- High Efficiency Windows: Low U-factor, Low Solar Heat Gain Co-efficient and Low-E glazing.
- Tankless Water Heater
- Energy Star Appliances and Lighting.
Indoor Air Quality
- Whole house filtration (MERV 10) to help remove airborne pollutants
- Low VOC paints
- Dehumidification to reduce mold, mildew and dust mites.
- Central vacuum system for the removal of indoor air pollutants.
- Automatic fresh air intake (IAQ) to remove allergens, pollutants, and moisture (mold).
- Water saving plumbing fixtures
- Tankless Water Heater
- Weather based irrigation system
- Native drought tolerant trees and shrubs (strategic use of grasses)
Verification and Certification – Home Energy Rating System (HERS)
Built Environment and the Natural Environment
We at the Tom Hobbs Co. believe "we all have a stake in the relationship between the built environment and the natural environment, and … are willing to embrace some personal responsibility for the outcome, not only in our own self interest but for that of future generations."